RCNET Module: Nuclear 3D Scanning
Nuclear 3D Scanning Module Description:
This module was created by the Regional Center for Nuclear Education and Training (RCNET) and is an introduction to 3D scanning and its applications in the nuclear industry. This module will explain what 3D scanning is, how and where it can be applied in the nuclear classroom, the implications for nuclear technicians, and the future uses of 3D scanning in the industry. Upon completion of this module, students will be able to:
1. Describe the basic components of a 3D scanner.
2. Identify the types of 3D scanning technology most often used in the nuclear industry.
3. Discuss the applications and limitations of 3D scanning as they pertain to the nuclear industry.
4. Identify and discuss the different types of software, inputs and outputs used for 3D scanning.
5. Recognize and discuss opportunities where 3D Scanning technologies would be applicable in a nuclear environment. Module materials include a lesson plan, a PowerPoint presentation, pre and post assessments and answer keys, and a RCNET Module – Nuclear 3D Scanning PDF.
- 0.00 3D Scanning Cover
- 1.00 RCNET Module
Nuclear 3D Scanning Lession Plan (EXCEL)
- 2.00 RCNET Module
Nuclear 3D Scanning (PPT)
- 4.10 RCNET Module
3D Scanning Pre Assessment Answer Key (DOC)
- 4.11 IRSC 3D Scanning
PRE Assessment Answer Key (DOC)
- 5.00 RCNET Module
3D scanning POST Assessment – Test (DOC)
- 5.10 RCNET Module
3D Scanning Post Assessment – Answer Key (DOC)
- 6.00 White Paper
Laser Scanning for Industrial Plants (PDF)
- RCNET Module
Nuclear 3D Scanning (PDF)
The lesson plan contains information about the module, learning objectives and outcomes, daily procedures for using the module, a list of materials needed, a lesson plan and scope of work, and supplemental and enrichment material.
The PowerPoint presentation provides learning objectives, module topics, and includes information on the basics of 3D scanning, laser scanning, digitizing, why 3D models are needed, limitations, takeaways, digital modeling versus reverse engineering, visualizing 3D data, 3D data in the nuclear world, from digital model to physical object.
A pre assessment test is included to determine students pre-existing knowledge about 3D scanning technology and its nuclear applications. A post assessment is included to determine what students have learned throughout the module. Answer keys are provided for each assessment.
The RCNET Module – Nuclear 3D Scanning .pdf includes all module contents in one document.